// BBC WORLD NEWS — MONDO
Tupac murder accused told police in 2008 his nephew fired fatal shots
The man accused of orchestrating the murder of Tupac Shakur told police more than a decade later that he handed the gun used in the drive-by shooting to a passenger who then passed it to his nephew who opened fire on the rapper.
Duane "Keffe D" Davis is on trial in Las Vegas, charged with one count of murder with a deadly weapon over the killing of the rap superstar in 1996. On Thursday jurors heard a recording of a police interview with Davis in 2008.
Prosecutors allege that although Davis did not fire the gun that killed Shakur, he ordered the shooting and supplied the deadly weapon to further criminal conduct for the gang he helped lead.
His lawyer Michael Sanft has argued that what his client had previously said of his involvement cannot be believed.
Shakur's murder is a cold case that has gripped the public's fascination for 30 years.
Prosecutors allege Davis planned the 7 September 1996 shooting after his nephew Orlando Anderson was involved in a fight with Shakur in Las Vegas hours earlier. They argue that Davis believed the attack on his nephew could not "go unanswered".
Central to the case are testimonies by Davis in the formerly secret 2008 police interview and, later, in a 2019 memoir he co-authored called Compton Street Legend.
Prosecutors on Thursday played the 2008 interview Davis conducted with Los Angeles Police detectives Daryn Dupree and Greg Kading, who were investigating the death of another rapper, Chris Wallace aka The Notorious B.I.G.
Davis described the moment the Cadillac he was a passenger in stopped alongside the car Shakur was in.
"Yeah, if we would've been on my side, I would've blasted," Davis said, according to a transcript.