// BBC UK NEWS — CRONACA
Burrows to announce Nesbitt's replacement as health minister
Ulster Unionist leader Jon Burrows and Mike Nesbitt, pictured in January this year
A new health minister for Northern Ireland is expected to be announced later following the resignation of Ulster Unionist Mike Nesbitt from the post.
Nesbitt announced he was stepping down on Tuesday night amid a row with his party leader Jon Burrows.
It followed a clash over withdrawing emergency general surgery services from Causeway Hospital, where Nesbitt said the party leader had "introduced a second red line".
An emergency meeting of Stormont's health committee is also due to take place on Thursday to discuss the fall out from Nesbitt's resignation.
On Tuesday night, Nesbitt said his time as health minster had been "the greatest privilege of his political career".
Burrows said he was "disappointed" Nesbitt had quit but pledged his replacement in the Stormont executive job would "get going with gusto".
He said he would make a decision "overnight" and confirm on Thursday who would replace Nesbitt but refused to rule himself out for the position.
On Wednesday, officials in the health service voiced their support for Nesbitt, saying he had "offered strong political leadership" and had "listened to clinical leaders".
They included the Royal College of Surgeons, NI Confederation for Health and Social Care, the British Medical Association.